Thursday, July 21, 2005

Red Letter Day

Well what do you know, I actually have something to talk about today instead of the usual stuff (although many people would consider this "usual stuff"). I went on a date or at least a reasonable facsimile of one Wednesday night. So here are some random thoughts from the evening.

- My date for the night, Shannon, is a coworker, which of course could lead to awkwardness, but in this case was very helpful for keeping things moving throughout the night. Unfortunately, she's not only very cute, but smart, funny, and adept at holding a conversation as well, causing a very unusual feeling for me: self-doubt. My experiences in life have taught me one very important lesson, that being not to want anything too much or you won't get it. More on her later.

- The movies are the nut low. I had no choice in the matter as this was supposed to be a group outing but turned into just the two of us. I like chatting, and the movies is probably the least conducive place for chatting ever, leading to the strange phenomenon of trying to fit a whole night's chats into the car trip to/from the movies. In this case, it might have been a blessing in disguise so that I didn't gibber-jabber too much.

- Johnny Depp is creepy as fuck.

- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was fine, probably better than the original although childhood nostalgia keeps me from being able to say for certain. The kids were amazingly well cast, unfortunately, I didn't like that their fate wasn't kept mysterious when they did bad things. And they took out "The Temptation of Charlie" which sorta bothered me.

- I guess I'm human after all. For the past couple of years, I think I might have been sabotaging myself by going after women with obvious defects besides the physical. It helped my confidence to be able to, for lack of a better term, "shit it." I need to find that mindset soon or I won't be able to function properly around her. I don't allow myself to get excited around women for the most part anymore, and I've been enabling that by giving myself something obvious to dislike about the girls that I have seen over the past 5 years. I'm just as cowardly as anyone else when I'm around someone that I actually like...and I'm afraid that it might be the case here. For example, I couldn't bring myself to make a physical move last night. I was just too nervous and I NEVER get apprehensive like that with the usual. At least it's something interesting to write about. Any advice for me would be appreciated through the usual channels.

Songs of the Second:
1. The Used - Lunacy Fringe (Tim, you're a master)
2. The Matches - Chain Me Free (Rayna, you're a master)
3. Number One Gun - Get Up (AND STRETCH!)
4. Spoon - Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine (was a fan of them in 2000, they disappeared, but they're back now)
5. Augustana - Stars and Boulevards (sounds Pete Yorn-ish)

ps. Fuck the Mars Volta. Those pretentious bastards think they are above rock music with their long-ass songs and stupid foreign language crap. L'Via L'Viaquez my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home